Manx National Heritage’s sites include interactive displays to engage children and families
Wallace and Gromit are set to make their debut on the Isle of Man next Monday when they travel over with Yamaha TT racer Guy Martin.
The Isle of Man TT Races will be featured in a prime-time ITV1 show this month
The mountain hut is located on the edge of the Jesene alpine pasture above the upper part of the Lom Valley (Lomska dolina) under the north walls of Storžič.
In two restaurant areas there are 60 seats; there are 12 rooms with 48 beds, 20 communal beds; toilet and a washing room with warm and cold water; the restaurant area is heated by the stove, there is a farmhouse stove in the hunting room; running water, electricity.
From the hut there is a beautiful view on the north walls of Storžič which rises above the Jesenje alpine pasture in the direction towards the east and on the right towards the south on Mali Storžič with the ridge of Psica, which descends towards Mala Poljana between Storžič and Tolsti vrh. The hut is surrounded by forests and therefore one has to find the viewpoint towards the west and north a little above the hut by the path to Mala Poljana or below the hut on the alpine pasture. There the first north walls of Tolsti vrh and Kriška gora which descend to the valley of the Lomščica can be seen, on the left there is Dobrča, and on the right Begunjščica; on the northe side of the Lom Valley rise the woody Konjščica with the famous Bela peč, which juts out above the slope.
the local road from Tržič through the village of Lom (there is the asphalt to the village) and along the Lomščica to the parkirng place near the hut 9km. The BS Tržič, Spodnje Jezersko, Golnik and Križe: from Tržič through the village Lom and continuing partly along the road, partly along the paths 2h15; from Spodnje Jezersko, the BS Kanonir in Podlog along the valley of Reka and across Podstoržec alpine pasture and the pass Javorniški preval 4h; from Golnik to the village Gozd, along the slope of Kriška gora and Tolsti vrh and across Mala Poljana 3h; from Križi along the village Gozd and continuing as from Golnik 3h30.
Storžič (2132 m): across Žrelo 3h, across Škarjeve peči along the SPP (Slovenian Alpine Trail) 3h30, across Mala and Velika Poljana and along the ridge of Psica 3h30; Tolsti vrh (1715 m) across Mala Poljana 2h; Veliki Javornik or Ženiklovec (1715 m) across Javorniški preval pass 2h; Bela peč (1583 m) across the Javornik alpine pasture 2h; Stegovnik (1692 m) across the Javornik alpine pasture 3h.
Access to other mountain huts
Koča na Kriški gori mountain hut (1471 m) across Mala Poljana and Tolsti vrh 3h; Zavetišče v Gozdu mountain shelter (891m) across Mala Poljana and across the south slope of Kriška gora 3 h30; Planinski dom na Kališču mountain hut (1534 m) across Mala and Velika Poljana and across the south slope of Storžič across the Javornik alpine pasture 3h30, or across the pass Javorniški preval, below Škarjevi rob and across the pass Bašeljski preval 2h30; Planšarsko-smučarski dom na planini Javornik mountain hut (1448 m) across the pass Javorniški preval 1h30 (the hut is permanently open in summer, otherwise on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays).
We will start our tour in the town centre of Tržič, where, after a short walk, we will view the Church of St. Joseph (sv. Jožef). It stands on the hill above the town from where there is an extremely beautiful view of the old town centre and the Begunjščica.
The church with two chapels forms the shape of a cross. The main altar was first wooden, however, in 1860 a stonemason, Mr. Vurnik from Radovljica, made a new marble altar on which the holiest sacrifice was first presented on 25th November 1860. Both side altars are wooden and fashioned in the Baroque style. On the evangelist side it is dedicated to St. Joachim. The altar on the other side is situated in the chapel and dedicated to St. Rochus. In the middle of the 18th century another altar was erected here, which is dedicated to the Guardian Angel.
For the inhabitants in those times, the Church of St. Joseph was a real pilgrimage church. They would come in great confidence to the image of St. Rochus where they asked for healing, help from infectious diseases and other physical injuries and imperfections. There were many who did not come all the way in vain which was testified by the large number of crutches and other patients’ aids which those whose health improved, left at the altar of St. Rochus.
In the loft there were also the organs, which Peter Napret donated to the church in 1796. The organs formed something of an historical attraction as the bellows were driven by belts and it is a great shame that individual parts were taken away by children as their toys.
After visiting the Church of St. Joseph we will drive by bus to the extreme north-east of the municipality, towards the church of St. Bartholomew (sv. Jernej), which together with the surrounding walls and old linden tree, forms the central part of the old village nucleus.
The beginnings of the church go back to the 14th century, evident from the star-shaped Gothic ribbed vault in the presbytery and the accompanying Baroque style. The Church of St. Joseph is distinguished by Gothic frescoes from around the year 1475, which are the work of a master from the circle of Istrian painters. The frescoes cover the walls and the arch of the Gothic presbytery. On the vault there is a painting of Christ – the ruler, around him are men of the church, angels and saints, and there are paintings of saints on the walls. On the altar table stands the statue of St. Bartholomew. The church is surrounded by the church wall with a portal with an inscription from the year 1738.
Before viewing the last jewel we will stop for refreshments at a popular village restaurant.
The Church of St. George (sv. Jurij) stands on elevated ground above Bistrica pri Tržiču. Its beginnings reach back to the beginning of the 15th century. It was a proprietorial church of the Gutenberg nobility.
St. George saved the King’s daughter Alexandra who was to be sacrificed as food to a dragon. In the feudal period he was honoured as a protector of chivalry, however, simple folk considered him a protector of cattle.
The one-nave church faces towards the east. The nave has a flat, wooden, nicely painted ceiling, which is among the oldest and best preserved in our territory. In the altar niche is a statue of St. George. On the outer part of the vestry is a painting of St. Christopher in lively colours by M. Bradaška. At the entrance to the church is a tablet with the words »Count Žiga Lamberg, who was the first Bishop of Ljubljana, from 1463 until 1488, was born in the Gutenberg Castle to which the Church of St. George belongs«.
From the church a beautiful view opens to the Karavanke, to the plain towards Kranj, and to the Triglav mountain chain. For a pleasant conclusion of your trip we kindly invite you to the TC Deteljica. Besides the factory stores Peko Tržič (footwear) and Bombažna predilnica in tkalnica Tržič (bedsheets and linens), there are numerous specialised shops and catering facilitie
After one of the many fires that plagued Tržič, a group of houses began to form after 1698 on the left bank of the Tržiška Bistrica beneath the parish church, and of these the Kurnik House has preserved the most authentic appearance since the end of the 18th century. The stone ground floor, wooden second floor, and picturesque shingled roof conceals the floor plan of a typical Gorenjska home with characteristics of a craftsman?s workshop. According to tradition, the men in the house followed the wheelwright?s trade and the women, the stocking-weaver?s trade. The original wheelwright?s workshop is preserved in full and is presented in the cellar. Five rooms are on view on the ground floor: the bedroom, the ?izba? (a small living room), a ?black? kitchen with two hearths, the ?hiša? or main living space, and a smaller ?worker?s kitchen? with a stone stove. The second floor is devoted to exhibits describing the cottage industry, Gregorjevo (the Festival of St. Gregory), and the ancient appearance of the city.
Since 1985 the entire old city core has been protected as a cultural and historical monument. Its appearance was to a great extent determined by a fire in 1811. After the fire, a special regulation was published that required the obligatory installation of iron doors and shutters, which became a genuine European curiosity. Numerous other features of the buildings in the city core also attract attention, for example the portals and window frames made of green stone, the drying vents in the roofs, the stone milestones, an oriel window, etc. A guided tour is recommended.